The widespread use of eBooks and electronic documents offers readers great conveniences in storage and display. Consumers now benefit from slick new gadgets such as the Apple iPad, which present readers with a slim form factor, a vivid color display, and a simple touch screen to navigate their content. However, whether reading from a PC or an iPad tablet, the reader must always press a key or swipe the screen in order to turn a page. Musicians and people with disabilities remain hindered by this requirement.
The PageFlip Cicada is a wireless Bluetooth pedal designed to meet the needs of people with disabilities and musicians who struggle with the challenge and inconvenience of page turning. PageFlip Cicada works exclusively with digital documents, web pages, and image collections on any Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. By simply tapping the dual pedal of the PageFlip Cicada, the digital content can now be flipped or scrolled in either the forward or reverse directions for convenient hands-free reading.
People with disabilities can easily connect their favorite external switch to the PageFlip Cicada to trigger page turns. Sip-and-puff (breath-controlled) devices or Ablenet Jelly Bean pushbuttons are examples of popular switches available to people with disabilities. Musicians will, of course, prefer to tap the PageFlip Cicada with their foot rather than take their hands (and their focus) off their instruments.
The PageFlip Cicada emulates a standard keyboard and works with any software that uses keyboard strokes to navigate through digital files. For added versatility, the user may select among five modes for the dual pedals: PageUp/PageDown, Left/Right arrow, Up/Down arrow, Left/Right mouse click, and Space/Enter. Changing modes is as simple as pressing a button. No software installation or programming is required.
The PageFlip Cicada works with any Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. If your computer does not have Bluetooth, no problem. PageFlip includes a Bluetooth USB micro adapter (dongle) that you can plug into your computer's USB port for instant Bluetooth support! Once you try the Bluetooth pedal you will be amazed by the convenience of hands-free reading.
- PageFlip Cicada Bluetooth Pedal
- Ease of Use
- Simply open a file and press either pedal of the PageFlip Cicada to turn a page forwards or backwards.
- Permits hands-free reading of vast libraries of scanned, purchased, or freely downloaded digital content. There is no need to stop playing your musical instrument or wait for a care-giver to turn the page.
- Turns one page at a time with 100% accuracy. Navigation of digital content eliminates the risk of turning multiple pages at once, which is a problem typically associated with physical books.
- Press a mode button to select pedal functions for enhanced software compatibility: PageUp/PageDown, Left/Right arrow, Up/Down arrow, Left/Right mouse click, and Space/Enter.
- Robust Operation
- A Repeat switch enables continuous scrolling while the pedal is pressed down. Disable this autorepeat feature for musical performances to prevent inadvertent page turns in case of a slow pedal release.
- Wireless Connectivity
- The PageFlip Cicada communicates wirelessly with the computer up to a range of 10 meters using standard Bluetooth 2.0 technology.
- Works with any Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. Even works with the Apple iPad on apps that accept keyboard commands, such as MusicReader, ForScore, and unrealBook.
- Includes a Bluetooth USB micro adapter (dongle) to bring the full benefits of this wireless pedal to any computer that is not Bluetooth compliant.
- Unique Pairing
- Multiple pedals can be operated in the same room without interference. The Bluetooth pairing process uniquely establishes wireless connectivity between the PageFlip Cicada and one computer. The computer requires the user to enter a numerical code on the PageFlip Cicada. Simply press one of the five mode buttons and, if necessary, the left pedal (Shift) to enter each code digit. The right pedal (Enter) must be pressed to complete the pairing process.
- External Switches
- The PageFlip Cicada (Disability Version) is compatible with a wide array of external switches. Commonly used sip-and-puff and Jelly Bean pushbutton switches may be plugged into the auxiliary switch outlet(s) via two 1/8" mono plugs.
- Auto Power-Off Function
- PageFlip Cicada automatically turns itself off two hours after the last operation is performed. The pedal has a battery life of 200 hours in continuous page turning mode, or approximately 200,000 page turns.
- The unit is small, light, and operates on AC power or two AA batteries.
- PageFlip Cicada Bluetooth Pedal
Consider the problem of a musician whose hands are busy playing their instrument. It is very disruptive to stop playing simply to turn the page. Although digital sheet music does not have loose pages, the user must still tap a key or swipe the screen to turn pages. A need clearly exists for a hands-free solution. With the tap of a pedal on the PageFlip Cicada, the musician can now have full confidence that only one page will be turned at a time in either the forward or reverse directions.
The PageFlip Cicada is an assistive technology for people with limited bilateral upper extremity function caused by neurological impairment, musculoskeletal problems, and generalized weakness. Included in this population are people who have suffered cerebrovascular accidents, spinal cord injuries, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, and arthritic joint changes. The PageFlip Cicada would enhance the quality of life of the elderly and disabled by improving their independence in this activity of daily living. A reader can now lie in a supine position and remotely control page turns on an overhead display. External switches such as sip-and-puff and Jelly Bean pushbuttons may be used.
The PageFlip Cicada provides avid readers with convenient hands-free reading support. The PageFlip Cicada in conjunction with an electronic display can supplant book holders for use with cookbooks in kitchens, books in libraries, or simply for reading in bed. The pedal can also offer remote control page turning of slides in Powerpoint presentations and lectures.
- PageFlip Cicada Bluetooth Pedal
- Dimensions: 6.7" (W) x 4.6" (H) x 1.3" (D)
- Weight: 4.8 ounces (135 grams)
- Battery Life: 200 hours of continuous turning or approximately 200,000 page turns
- Applications: PDFs, Word, Powerpoint, web pages, iBooks/Kindle for PC, music reader programs
- PC Support: Any computer running Windows XP/Vista/7, Mac OS X/iOS, or Linux
- Kindle Support: None. Kindle hardware does not support Bluetooth or USB port
- iPad Support: Works with keyboard-compatible apps: MusicReader, ForScore, unrealBook
- Pedal Modes: PageUp/Dn, Left/Right arrows, Up/Down arrows, Left/Right mouse click, Space/Enter
- Power: 2 AA batteries or optional AC adapter (input: 100V-240V, 50/60 Hz; output: 5V, 500 mA)
- Includes: wireless Bluetooth pedal, Bluetooth USB micro adapter
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g9oD6uP5_3I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
|Platform||Hybrid (Mac and PC)|
|System Requirements (Windows)||
|System Requirements (Mac)||